Dear Discovery Parent/Guardian,
Discovery VPO’s Spell-a-Thon fundraiser is right around the corner!! The Spell-a-Thon is Discovery VPO’s main fundraiser. It has been very successful providing Discovery Elementary with funding to support programs like AR/RAZ Kids, Field Day, teacher/staff appreciation, money for teacher classrooms and so much more. Because community sponsors pay part of our fundraiser expenses, nearly 100% of funds raised go back to our school, our students, and our school programs. The specific goal this year is to raise $20,000. This year the VPO wants to support the music program by buying the supplies to make music kits for each student in the school.
How does the Spell-a-Thon work? This year the spell-a-thon will be held virtually. This means that students will have a chance to create their own web page and raise funds from a web page. Grade level words that your student will be tested on will be available from your student’s teacher. Kindergarten and 1st grade will receive 15 words, 2nd graders will receive 25 words, 3rd graders will receive 30 words, and 4th & 5th graders will receive 40 words. Students can seek out sponsorships based on each word spelled correctly or may request a flat donation. If you or your child decides not to collect donations from family and friends, please consider sponsoring your own child. Sponsoring your own child will not only encourage them to do well on their Spell-a-Thon test and enable them to earn prizes, but it will also benefit our school. If each student raises $35 we will exceed our goal of $20,000!
How do you create your student’s web page?
To add your child as a participant, please follow these 4 easy steps:
- Go to this 99 Pledges
- Enter your child’s name, enter your email, and select the group your child belongs to. (It will still work if you do not add an email address, you just will NOT be able to upload a photo to your child’s page.)
- Click “Add” to see your newly created pledge page
- Share their page far and wide to collect donations!
- Thursday, October 1st: The website will be available for students to create their pledge page.
- Thursday, October 1st – Wednesday, November 4th: Students seek sponsors to support them. Words will be provided to students to practice.
- Thursday, November 5th: Spell-a-Thon Day!! Students will be able to participate in the online Spell-a-Thon via email link.
- Thursday, December 3rd: Deadline to turn in all pledges and donations to be eligible for prizes and drawings.
This fundraiser has great academic and financial benefits and we could not do it without your support! If you have any questions about the Spell-a-Thon please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for taking the time to work with your child to make this Spell-a-Thon a success!